(nil): G Tsoulas (gt3(@)york.ac.uk)
Ημερομηνία: Τρι 12 Μαΐ 1998 - 10:23:39 EEST
50 of life's mysteries which would not be solved if you did not watch TV.
1. If staying in a haunted house, women should investigate any strange
noises wearing their most revealing underwear.
2. If being chased through town, you can usually take cover in a
passing St Patrick's Day parade - at any time of the year.
3. All beds have special L-shaped top sheets that reach up to armpit
level on a woman but only waist level on the man lying beside her.
4. All grocery shopping bags contain at least one stick of French bread.
5. It's easy for anyone to land a plane, providing there is someone in the
control tower to talk you down.
6. Once applied, lipstick will never rub off - even while scuba diving.
7. The ventilation system of any building is a perfect hiding place. No
one will ever think of looking for you in there and you can travel to
any other part of the building without difficulty.
8. You're likely to survive any battle in any war unless you make the mistake
of showing someone a picture of you sweetheart back home.
9. Should you wish to pass yourself off as a German officer, it will not
be necessary to speak the language. A German accent will do.
10. The Eiffel Tower can be seen from any window of any building in Paris.
11. People on TV never finish their drinks.
12. A man will show no pain while taking the most ferocious beating but
will wince when a woman tries to clean his wounds.
13. The chief of police is always black.
14. When paying for a taxi, never look at your wallet as you take out a
note - just grab one at random and hand it over. It will always be
the exact fare.
15. If you lose a hand, it will cause the stump of your arm to grow by
16. Kitchens don't have light switches. When entering a kitchen at night,
you should open the fridge door and use that light instead.
17. During all police investigations, it will be necessary to visit a
strip club at least once.
18. Mothers routinely cook eggs, bacon and waffles for their family
every morning, even though the husband and children never have time to
19. Cars and trucks that crash will almost always burst into flames.
20. Wearing a singlet or stripping to the waist can make a man
invulnerable to bullets.
21. A single match will be sufficient to light up a room the size of a
22. If a killer is lurking in your house, it's easy to find him. Just
relax and run a bath - even if it's the middle of the afternoon.
23. Medieval peasants had perfect teeth.
24. Although in the 20th century it is possible to fire weapons at an
object out of visual range, people of the 23rd century will have lost
25. All single women have a cat.
26. Any person waking from a nightmare will sit bolt upright and pant.
27. Even when driving down a perfectly straight road, it is necessary to
turn the steering wheel vigorously from left to right every few
28. One man shooting at 20 men has a better chance of killing them all
than 20 men firing at one.
29. Creepy music coming from a graveyard should always be closely
30. If a phone line is broken, communication can be restored by
frantically beating the cradle and saying, "Hello?, Hello?"
31. Most people keep a scrapbook of newspaper cutting - especially if
any of their family or friends has died in a strange boating accident.
32. It does not matter if you are heavily outnumbered in a fight involved
martial arts - your enemies will wait patiently to attack you one by
one by dancing around in a threatening manner until you have knocked
out their predecessor.
33. During a very emotional confrontation, instead of facing the person
you are speaking to, it is customary to stand behind them and talk to
34. When you turn out the light to go to bed, everything in your room
will still be clearly visible, just slightly bluish.
35. Dogs always know who's bad and will naturally bark at them.
36. Police departments give their officers personality tests to make sure
they are deliberately assigned a partner who is their total opposite.
37. When they are alone, all foreigners prefer to speak English to each
38. Action heroes never face charges for manslaughter or criminal damage
despite laying entire cities to waste.
39. No matter how badly a spaceship is attacked, its internal gravity
system is never damaged.
40. If there is a deranged killer on the loose, this will coincide with a
thunderstorm that has brought down all the power and phone lines in
41. You can always find a chainsaw whenever you're likely to need one.
42. Rather than wasting bullets, megalomaniacs prefer to kill their
arch-enemies using complicated machinery involving fuses, pulley
systems, deadly gases, lasers and man eating sharks that will allow
their captives at least 20 minutes to escape.
43. Having a job of any kind will make all fathers forget their son's
44. Many musical instruments - especially wind instruments and accordions
can be played without moving the fingers.
45. All bombs are fitted with electronic timing devices with large red
readouts so you know exactly when they're going to go off.
46. It is always possible to park directly outside the building you are
47. Guns are like disposable razers - if you run out of bullets, just
throw the gun away. You can always buy a new one.
48. Make-up can safely be worn to bed without smudging.
49. A detective can only solve a case once he has been suspended from
50. If you decide to start dancing in the street, everyone you bump into
will know all the steps.
* George Tsoulas Phone *
* Department of Language and Direct: +44+(0)1904+432664 *
* Linguistic Science Messages:+44+(0)1904+432650 *
* University of York Fax: +44+(0)1904+432673 *
* Heslington, York-YO10 5DD Email: gt3(@)york.ac.uk *
* England - UK. WWW: http://www.york.ac.uk/~gt3 *
Joke of the Day ... Ελληνική Λίστα Ανεκδότων
Πληροφορίες --> https://anekdota.duckdns.org/jokes_list.html